Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Mama's Day to Remember

Today is Mother's Day and it is one that I won't soon forget.  This morning, when Brent got home, he told Taylor to "go help your Mama find her Mother's Day present."  It's no big secret, at least to Brent, that I love surprises and trying to figure out where and what they are.  As soon as he said that, I was up and began diligently searching for my present.  About the same time I started my "scavenger hunt," Brent started snapping pictures of me.  I thought it was funny, because usually I am the one with the camera glued to my hand.  I had on Brent's shorts and t-shirt and hadn't even washed my face. . . payback I guess :)

When I went into the office, Brent said "You are getting warmer and colder."  So, I of course made my way to the fridge and then the freezer.  No luck.  Brent continued to snap away.  I went back into the office and started to check the desk, when something caught my eye.  There on the desk was the Nikon camera that I borrowed from Jessie. . . but hanging from my husband's hand was a Nikon strap attached to another camera.  My jaw dropped.  It was then that I realized what my present was.

We had been saving up all of our Christmas money and spare change to buy a tv.  Brent said that he made an executive decision and invested in the camera instead.  He said the tv could wait.  I wanted to cry.  It was one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received. 

We continued our usual Sunday morning routine by going to worship.  Of course, this was the one time I didn't pack an extra pair of pants in Tay's bag and wouldn't you know it. . .he peed through his khakis and onto Brent's.  Go figure! 

We made it work and after a quick stop at the store to get pictures, groceries, and a pair of shorts, we were on our way home.  We had decided earlier in the week to have our parents and Aunt Manda over for lunch.  We wanted to let our Mamas know how important they are to us.  Brent smoked a pork loin and a couple of whole chickens and grilled some veggies.  After eating that, a couple other sides, and some fruit pizza, we were stuffed.

The day ended with Jessie and Patrick stopping by to see the family and all of us gave Mama her Mother's Day present together.  We got her a glass Hummingbird bird bath.  It looked like it was made for her.

It really was a perfect day.  One that let me reflect on how truly blessed I am.  I am so lucky to have a wonderful husband, who is thoughtful and kind.  I am grateful that God blessed me with an incredible Mama, who has shown me, by example, what it means to be a good Mama and how to be a Godly woman.  I am truly thankful that God blessed Brent and I with Taylor.  Before I became a Mom, I never know how much joy one little person could bring into my life and how I could feel such a different kind of love. . . one that completely fills my heart in a way nothing else has, nor ever will.

Here are a couple of pictures, from the day I became a Mama and the days that followed.  After six days in the NICU, Taylor got to come home with us. . . where he belonged.



















No comments:

Post a Comment